IVF Cost: how much does IVF treatment actually cost in India?
Infertility in men and women is a growing issue in the current scenario due to stressful lifestyle, lack of exercise, the choice to get married late, etc. People have become more career-oriented and feel the need to settle down before having a child. They often wait until 30s to plan and have a baby. However, as their age increases, the chance to conceive decreases.
This is why a number of couples choose the IVF option. In-vitro fertilization is a technique of assisted reproduction where the woman’s egg and the man’s sperm are combined in an artificial environment in the laboratory dish, which is the place where fertilization takes place. The resulting embryos are then placed into the womb of the women where they are left to develop naturally. Generally, 2-4 embryos are implanted in the uterus of the women at one time, and each attempt is known as a cycle.
However, women have to take a lot of medicines to product hormones artificially and increase the chances of conception. First, the medication is used to make multiple eggs mature as well as ready for fertilization. After that, the eggs are extracted from the woman’s body and then mixed with sperms in a lab. Like every medical procedure and medication, IVF also has risks as well as possible side effects, which are –
- Breast tenderness
- Bruising from shots
- Mood swings
- Allergic reactions to medicines
IVF has several steps and one cycle may take multiples months to complete. For some people, the process may be a success in the first try. However, many couples require more than one cycle of IVF to conceive. Although IVF increases the chances of conceiving, successful pregnancy is not guaranteed. This is because everyone’s body is not the same and IVF does not necessarily work for everyone.
IVF Treatment Cost
For once cycle, the average IVF cost in Delhi or anywhere in India is 2,50,000 rupees but it can even be 4,50,000 rupees or more. If any clinic is charging less than 1,50,000 rupees, then chances are the IVF treatment cost in Delhi quoted is not complete. Ask them if this quotation includes everything like ultrasound, fertility drug purchases, blood work, monitoring costs, and every other cost.
In some cases, ICSI treatment or the method where one sperm is directly injected into the egg may be required. But this treatment will increase the overall IVF cost Delhi by 1,50,000-2,50,000 rupees.
In case you possess frozen embryos and want to utilize them, the cost would be a lot lesser than carrying out IVF cycle using fresh embryos. You will be required to pay around 1,20,000 rupees for a FET or frozen embryo transfer.
IVF Success Rate
The IVF treatment cost in Delhi can be high for many of the childless couples. This is why it is important to know how successful is the treatment.
- The success rate of IVF depends on woman’s age, cause of infertility, type of embryo transfer, years of infertility, sperm quality, and whether donor eggs or self eggs are used.
- The success rate is greater in younger women. This is why even if a woman who is in her 40s is using the nucleus created when the woman was young (in her 30s), the chance of a successful pregnancy would be the same as that of a lady in her 30s.
- Also, frozen cycles generally have higher success rate because embryos that survive thawing process are more likely to be robust. This results in an increased chance of obtaining an IVF pregnancy.
- Even the donor eggs are more likely to be grow into successful pregnancies because they come from younger women who are medically fit. With better sperm quality, the success rate also increases.
- The success rate in IVF treatment of a clinic is determined keeping several parameters into consideration, which are implantation rate, take-home baby rate, clinical pregnancy rate, etc.
If you are facing problems with pregnancy, it is advisable to first try alternative treatments and then go for IVF due to IVF cost in Delhi. This is because a successful pregnancy may require several cycles, which means you may have to spend lakhs of rupees. However, there is a big chance that you will be able to give birth to your own child through the IVF procedure.